Interpreters at ACAT

Interpreters at ACAT

If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English, or you have a hearing or speech impairment, you may be able to get an interpreter to help you at the ACAT.

If you are a party in a case and you need an interpreter, ACAT can seek to organise this.  The service is provided at no cost to you.

ACAT uses the National Translation and Interpreter Service (TIS) to provide interpreters to a party who requires this service. Interpreters may assist by telephone or may appear in person depending on your needs and the availability of interpreters on the day.

The ACAT will require advance notice of your requirement for an interpreter.  When asking for an interpreter you need to tell us:

  • the language
  • dialect (if needed)
  • gender of the interpreter (if important).

Please note that in some limited circumstances, the ACAT may not be able to arrange an interpreter (for example, there are none available).

If you decide to get your own interpreter, please ensure they are accredited under the National Accreditation Authority for Translator and Interpreters and you inform the ACAT.

Please contact the ACAT Registry to discuss your interpreter needs.