How do I make an application to the ACAT?

To file an application with the ACAT you will need to fill in an application form and file it with the Registry.  The form needs to be signed by you personally, or by your lawyer, or by a properly authorised person such as your attorney.

When you file the application you will be required to pay the determined fee.  You can request the Registrar to waive of defer payment of the fee in your case by completing a request about fees form.

Under the Retirement Villages Act 2012 only specified people can apply for some types of orders.  When you fill in the application form you will need to identify your status (eg. resident), and what orders you seek (eg. an order under section 181(1)(a) directing the operator to ...).   For a checklist of the sorts of orders that different people can ask for, click here.

If you are not sure about whether you can make an application or whether the ACAT can make the orders you seek, you should obtain legal advice.  

ACAT staff cannot give you legal advice, but they can help you with completing and filing the application form.

Once you have completed the application form you can file it either in person at the ACAT Registry or by post.  The fee can be paid in cash, by cheque or money order, or by electronic payment (please be aware that the Registry cannot accept fee payments after 4:00 pm).