What can I apply to ACAT for?

The Retirement Villages Act 2012 covers a range of issues such as the rights of residents, operators obligations in relation to maintenance and financial matters, and residents’ involvement in village management.  Where there is a dispute about any of these matters, generally an application can be made to the ACAT for orders resolving the dispute. 

A list of the orders that can be sought is linked here.

The Act may apply differently to different cases, depending upon how long ago the village contract was signed, or the individual terms of the contract.  Also, sometimes a dispute about a retirement village should be dealt with under other legislation such as the Unit Titles (Management) Act 2011 or the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.  Before you file an application with ACAT it is advisable to find out more about how the Act applies to your individual case.

For general information about the application of the Retirement Villages Act 2012 and what it does, contact the Office of Regulatory Services on 6207 0400 or check out the factsheets on their website.

If you are not sure what legislation applies to your dispute, or how the Act applies to your situation, you should seek legal advice.

ACAT staff cannot give you legal advice, but they can help you with completing and filing the application form.